Competition for the position of the Director of the National Cancer Institute
Pursuant to Order No ISAK-2463 “On the Approval of the Description of the Procedure for Holding a Selection of the Director of the State Research Institute by Way of an Open Competition Procedure” of the Minister of Education and Science of 1 December 2009 and Order No PI-117 of the Minister of Education, Science and Sport of the Republic of Lithuania “On the Approval of the Qualification Requirements for the Position of the Director of the National Cancer Institute” of 28 July 2023, the Ministry of Education, Science and Sport of the Republic of Lithuania announces a competition for the position of the Director of the National Cancer Institute.
Qualification requirements for the position of the Director of the National Cancer Institute (the Institute):
General qualification requirements for the position of the Director of the Institute:
- To be of impeccable repute as defined in Article 5 of the Republic of Lithuania Law on Science and Studies;
- To have a doctoral degree (PhD) in medicine and health, natural sciences or social sciences;
- To have at least 5 years of experience in scientific work. Scientific work experience in medicine or life sciences shall be an advantage;
- To have at least 5 years’ experience in a managerial capacity in the management of institutions, organisations, undertakings or divisions thereof;
- To have experience of participating in research and experimental development (R&D) projects at international level;
- To be fluent in the state language in accordance with the third category of state language proficiency established by Resolution No 1688 of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania of 24 December 2003 “On the Approval and Implementation of the State Language Proficiency Categories”;
- To be fluent in at least one of the three working languages of the European Union (English, French or German).
Special qualification requirements for the position of the Director of the Institute:
- Knowledge of and ability to apply the laws of the Republic of Lithuania, resolutions of the Government of the Republic of Lithuania, European Union legal acts and other legal acts regulating research, studies and health care; knowledge of and ability to apply the planning, organisation and execution of health promotion activities; knowledge of the application of the latest advanced technologies in the field of oncological sciences;
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of regulation of research, education and health policy, economics, law, finance, personnel management, administration and labour relations, and the ability to apply this knowledge in the organisation and planning of activities;
- Ability to identify risky areas of the institution’s activities and to apply appropriate risk management models;
- Knowledge of the principles of creating an anti-corruption environment;
- The following competences and ability to apply them in action:
5.1. leadership competence, i.e. the ability to convey the vision, mission and objectives of the Institute to its staff and to inspire to pursue them, to provide the necessary emotional support, to involve the staff in decision-making, to educate them, and to create a positive working environment;
5.2. managerial competences: a strategic approach, i.e. the ability to align objectives with national priorities, to assess the broader context, to anticipate and seize future opportunities, and the ability to organise and manage activities, i.e. the ability to set priorities, to organise and coordinate activities to ensure that objectives are met.
Applicants for the position of Director of the National Cancer Institute must submit the following documents in the Lithuanian language or the accompanying translations into Lithuanian certified in accordance with the procedure laid down by law:
- An application for the competition (in free form) with contact details (telephone number, e-mail address, residential address);
- A personal identity document and/or a copy thereof;
- A document certifying a scientific degree and/or a copy thereof;
- Curriculum vitae in Europass CV format;
- A brief description of their scientific activities and a list of their scientific papers (with 10-15 of the most relevant scientific papers);
- Information on participation in international R&D projects;
- A copy of the document(s) attesting proficiency in the foreign language(s);
- The applicant’s draft of the Institute’s strategy and action plan, up to 3 pages of text;
- Copies of documents in substantiation of compliance with other qualification requirements (if available).
The salary of the Director of the Institute shall be determined in accordance with the Description of the Procedure for Assignment of Salaries for Directors of State Research Institutes, whose Owner’s Rights and Duties are Implemented by the Ministry of Education, Science and Sports approved by Order No ISAK-1089 of 4 June 2007 “On the Approval of the Description of the Procedure for Assignment of Salaries for Directors of State Research Institutes, whose Owner’s Rights and Duties are Implemented by the Ministry of Education, Science and Sports” of the Minister of Education, Science and Sport”. The salary coefficient and the performance bonus for the Director of the Institute shall be fixed each year for the period from 1 February to 31 January of the following year. Until 31 January 2024, The Institute Director’s salary coefficient shall be 23.33 and a performance bonus (percentage of salary) shall be 66%.
No later than by 11 September 2023 inclusive, the applicant shall submit the documents by e-mail (under electronic signature) to email@example.com or by registered letter to the Ministry of Education, Science and Sport, at A. Volano g. 2, 01516 Vilnius, or in person at the Ministry of Education, Science and Sport (A. Volano g. 2, Vilnius), Room 117, Monday to Thursday from 8.00 to 12.00 and from 13.00 to 17.00, on Fridays from 8.00 to 12.00 and from 13.00 to 15.45.If the applicant has sent the documents by e-mail or registered mail, the original documents shall be checked against the copies submitted when the applicant arrives at the competition. For more information, please call 8 614 61 503, 8 612 34 983.
Additional information about the competition HERE.